Sunday 24 November 2013

New old stuff

So, I like the old stuff, and I like the new stuff, but often for very different reasons. I love the creativity and character of the old Citadel Miniatures Rogue Trader Adventurers for example, but the more modern miniatures are technically so much better - after all, the skills of the veteran sculptors and the standards expected of news ones have moved on 25+ years, and casting methods have advanced too.

 If only I could have the old stuff, but made to a modern standard. Here's my attempt at just that, taking this classic old Realm of Chaos Ordo Malleus Inquisitor...


And, following an expedition deep into the bitz box, recreating it with this result...



He's being painted even now, in the same style as the original 'Eavy metal example above, so I'll post the result once he's done and then maybe have a go at recreating a few others of my Old school favourites.

Cheers

Andy

14 comments:

  1. Nice! Can't wait to see him painted!

    (I actually have one of those old inquisitors that I was recently contemplating stripping the awful, half-completed paint job of twenty years ago off and having another go at it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice conversion and emulation of the original. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is thoroughly cool - really looking forward to seeing it painted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The conversion looks very cool and I like the perfect and harmonic mixture of Warmachine/GW-parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It's actually 100% Citadel/Forge World, but the big hat and wide shoulders do give it an unusual look :-)

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to seeing this develope Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to see paint on this. It's a great conversion and really does show a relation to the original. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent conversion,so characterful!!Where is the hat from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's from the Warhammer Empire battle wizard set, with a gas mask from the 40k Cadian command squad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking great! I used the same approach to update Thrugg Bullneck – recreating characterful older models with modern bits is great fun.
    Nice selection of parts on the Inquisitor – is that a Sternguard arm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, from the Sternguard kit (I bits-traded with a mate, but I'll get the set eventually, possibly for deathwatch kill team bits). Any links to your through conversion?

      Delete
  10. *Thrugg (damn iPad autocorrect!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work on this model. Do you have any WIP-pics, I'd love to see it coming together. By the way, is this the blog of *the* Andy Hoare?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just these pics I'm afraid! I am indeed an Andy Hoare, but this isn't just my blog, it's the blog of my gaming group :-)

    ReplyDelete